Wednesday, August 4, 2010

05 Jose Fadul Journal Writing Entries

Asian Social Institute
Jose Fadul
Journal Writing Entries
August 3, 2010

1. Kailan mo naramdamang nakakaluwag ka sa buhay
(1. When do you feel/know that you are nakakaluwag in life?)

1. My indirect answer: I believe, nakaluluwag is a state. Thus, the above question is awkward for me to answer. It is like asking when do you feel or know that you are rich. I'd rather ask, when do you consider a person to be rich? Consider those who are truly rich by NEDA's [National Economic Development Authority] standards but feel or think that they are not. Thus, it is not a matter of feeling or knowing that you are nakakaluwag, but, "Are you in that state of being nakakaluwag?" Or, if I am "forced" to answer the question, I'd say I always feel and think to be nakakaluwag, because I feel and know that there are those who are in need more than I do.

Feeling, thinking or knowing to be nakakaluwag (life of ease) is to feel and think or know that others are in need more than I do.

Nakakaluwag is a state. The prevailing set of conditions--just like in the state of the nation address of a president of a country. Kailan masasabing ang isang tao ay nakakaluwag? When is a person said to be in that state of nakakaluwag? We must first distinguish between a perceived state and the actual state. A person may get fooled into thinking of being in a state when actually he is not in that state. And another person may think of being not in that state, when actually he is in that state (as may be indicated by some measurements of one or more instruments and empirical indicators).

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is a state, a prevailing set of conditions.

Based on my experience, observation, and readings: ang isang tao ay nakakaluwag kung may kusang loob na pagbigay at pagtulong (a person is nakakaluwag [to feel or know that others have needs more than herself/himself]) whenever she/he voluntarily give and help. Nakakaluwag implies willingness in giving and helping.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is giving and helping others voluntarily and willingly.

In some Filipino artworks, those in need are pictured as tightly clinging to what they have, and come into grips. While those who are well-off are pictured as willing to let go of some of their possessions for those in need. "Maluwag" or "maluwang" literally means lightly held, loose, or spacious. It may also imply sufficient freedom to move around or having a comfortable space to work on. The term implies willingness in giving and helping: "maluwag sa kalooban".
Nakakaluwag (life of ease) implies sufficient freedom to move, comfortable space to work on.

[A]nd those familiar with accounting concepts often substitute the term "liquid" as in "Liquid ka ba ngayon? Pwede bang makahiram?" ("Are you liquid at this time? Can you lend me some amount?"). Even some Filipino grade school children form small informal cooperatives and do paluwagan which is essentially a group money lending scheme. However, the term magpaluwal has become synonymous with money lending, while the ethic nakaluluwag involves giving. Even then, “magpaluwal ka na lang" may sometimes mean, just give in.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is ethical, which involves lending or giving.

This Filipino ethic includes sacrifice on the part of the giver: the person giving (nakaluluwag) should at the very least, feel some discomfort. One should "get hurt" by his or her act of giving. Otherwise the essence of sacrifice will be absent. This is similar but not identical to the Christian lesson of the widow's mite present in the Synoptic Gospels (Mark 12:38-44, Luke 20:45-47, Luke 21:1-4). That is, the concept also includes relativism: some may be poor but they can consider themselves "nakaluluwag" to those who are much poorer, as rendered in a Tagalog commentary on Jeremiah 24:1.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is ethical, which involves sacrifice.

Those taking the Conflict theory approach to the study of society may suspect the true intentions of the "nakaluluwag". However, consider it more than the financial aspect of the concept. The ethic involves fulfillment in doing a social obligation. And this Filipino concept appears to be present even for the Filipinos overseas who send whatever amount to their relatives at home.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is ethical, which involves fulfillment in doing a social obligation.

2. Ano ang pakiramdam ng nakakaluwag sa buhay?
(2. What is the feeling of nakakaluwag in life?)

2. Again, an indirect answer: My feeling is not so important. I may feel gipit but in reality, I'm nakakaluwag. Or otherwise furthermore, I can, to some extent, modify my feelings. This morning I didn't feel like getting up at 4:30 a.m., but I "forced" myself to get up and like getting up. But if I have to answer Question 2 without engaging in a debate, I'd say, nakakaluwag in life feels generally pleasant--a bit happy, a of satisfaction, a bit nostalgic, and some other minimal emotional blending depending on the specific situation.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is to feel a bit happy.

3. Sa mga pagkakataong nakakaluwag ka sa buhay, saang bahagi ng buhay mo matatagpuan ang mga sumusunod? 3.1 ang Diyos, 3.2 ang iyong sarili, 3.3 ang iyong kapwa, at 3.4 ang kalikasan
(3. In the many situations that you are nakakaluwag in life, what part of your life do you find the following? 3.1 God, 3.2 self, 3.3 fellow being 3.4 creation)

3.1. Again, some complexity is introduced in the question itself. I "find" God whether I am in the state of nakakaluwag as well as in being gipit. Or perhaps, in my tithe and offering. When I am nakakaluwag, I give more in my offering. I find "God" in giving my tithe and offering because it is an act of worship for me--and for all those who gives to Someone they do not see.

God is present in either nakakaluwag (ease) or hindi nakakaluwag or gipit (without ease) situations in life; God is present in either difficult times (panahon ng kagiptan) and time of ease (panahon ng kaluwagan).

3.2. I don't exactly know. I find myself amongst Christians who believe in God and fear God who punish those who are selfish and greedy.

Believing in God, Fearing God for He punishes the selfish and greedy.

3.3. Same as in 3.2., and may I add, even with animals and plants that are hungry or thirsty, I feel like giving food or watering.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is giving and helping others voluntarily and willingly.

3.4. Again, same as in 3.2 and 3.3., I find in myself giving back a part of something that I received from my labor, and from others (in the form of gifts, inheritance, etc.) to those who are in need.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is giving back a part of what is received to others who are in need.

4. Anong mga aral ang itinuturo sayo ng mga karanasang nakakaluwag sa buhay?
(4. What lessons do the experiences of nakakaluwag in life teach you?)

4. Answer: the same lessons that the experiences of being gipit teach me, that include harmony, prudence, faith, etc.

Nakakaluwag (life of ease) is a lesson learned from the experiences of being gipit (without ease), living the values of harmony, prudence and faith.

5. Anong mga aral sa iyong pakiramdam na ituturo mo sa iyong kapwa?
(5. What lessons do you feel/think you will teach others?)

5. It depends on the particular situation. Generally, however, others will be better taught by how I behaved in concrete terms and not by what I simply tell them. ("Values are caught, not taught") ("At my age, I no longer try to do what I teach, but I teach only what I do.") In our house, we have a jar near the door where I put some coins (loose change) from time to time--to keep it more or less full. I do not only tell my wife, daughter, and the servants about it, but they actually see me (and others) get loose change from that jar for some beggars, indigents, tips for delivery boys, etc.

Living by witnessing the values of helping others voluntarily and willingly.


KEY CONCEPTS:

• Feeling, thinking or knowing to be nakakaluwag (life of ease) is to feel and think or know that others are in need more than I do.
• Nakakaluwag (life of ease):
o is a state, a prevailing set of conditions.
o is giving and helping others voluntarily and willingly.
o implies sufficient freedom to move, comfortable space to work on.
o is to feel a bit happy.
o is giving and helping others voluntarily and willingly.
o is giving back a part of what is received to others who are in need.
o is a lesson learned from the experiences of being gipit (without ease), living the values of harmony, prudence and faith.
o is ethical, which involves: lending or giving. sacrifice. fulfillment in doing a social obligation.
• God is present in either nakakaluwag (ease) or hindi nakakaluwag or gipit (without ease) situations in life; God is present in either difficult times (panahon ng kagiptan) and time of ease (panahon ng kaluwagan).
• Believing in God, Fearing God for He punishes the selfish and greedy.
• Living by witnessing the values of helping others voluntarily and willingly.

Keywords courtesy of MetaGlance:
"nakakaluwag",
"feelings",
"life",
"ease",
"state",
"concept",
"thirsty",
"present",
"ang",
"help",
"willingness",
"sa buhay",
"person",
"time",
"gipit",
"implies",
"involves",
"lesson",
"social obligation",
"indirect",
"experiences",
"comfortable space",
"situations",
"mga"